Friday, August 31, 2007

First "real" art quilt!



Although I've made a few things that might be called "art quilts", I never looked at them as such. They just happened to be three layers with stitching! So, this piece...which certainly has its share of problems...is my first, official ART QUILT. I made it using some of the background fabrics that I dyed several weekends ago.

I'm not sure why I decided to try an art quilt....I think that the individual components suggested this use when they were laying on my studio floor together.

This weekend Steve and I are headed to Pennsylvania to visit my parents. My Dad is recovering from surgical complications...but he's improving. This will be Alex's first weekend home alone...not that I'm nervous for him!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan this is gorgeous!

Doreen G said...

I agree with Sue this is gorgeous-

Unknown said...

This is wonderful, I love the colours and the stitching at the edge - the texture looks so much like what I would like to achieve!!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love this piece, especially the colors. I saw your profile at Layer... Congratulations. You surely deserve it. Your work is wonderful.

Unknown said...

Fabulous, love everything about it, such subtle colours

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow! Your first? Hard to believe...looks like you're a natural.

arlee said...

was this some rust dying? love the colours and raw edges, very fragmenty precious old textile look

Dianne said...

This is gorgeous!! I love the hint of magenta colour around the squares.

Julaine said...

Wonderful, Susan! When will we see more?

Take those "strange" observations/critique and let them go - put the energy into more quilts!