Monday, October 08, 2007

Demonstrating at Saluda Shoals Park


(All images can be clicked for a larger view!)

The leaf project is done at last. It was fun and exhausting. Steve and I hauled all seven tree stumps out to the shelter in which I spent the rest of the day demonstrating how felt leaves are created. Hundreds of people came, watched, admired the leaves and all my fiber vessels. It was over ninety degrees. At the end of the day, we hauled everything back home and to my studio. I would have loved to postpone some of the unpacking....but, I'm leaving for London tomorrow! I still haven't thought about packing and I've got so many other things to arrange before leaving...naturally, I'm blogging instead!

Below are all sorts of pictures...none of which I particularly like because I'm in them. I prefer to be on the other side of the camera. Alex took these photos (I took the rest long before the crowds arrived). He loved coming out to the park on his moped and will hopefully soon be creating a little video of all the pictures he took.




These last photos are details of the installation of leaves, vessels, and tree stumps. Nature can both inspire my work and be part of it!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

It sure looked like a fun project! And the weather was nice also it seems. Lovely pictures, I wish I could been there.

Doreen G said...

I love the vessels Susan.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed meeting you at the park. My husband and I enjoyed the technique you used to create the leaves. They looked so natural. Susan

Nikki said...

The vessels are beautiful. I wouldn't mind a little of the weather either. Raining in the 40's here. I'm happy to hear that everything went well with the leaves demo. Have a wonderful trip!!

Nikki said...

The vessels are beautiful. I wouldn't mind a little of the weather either. Raining in the 40's here. I'm happy to hear that everything went well with the leaves demo. Have a wonderful trip!!

jonio said...

Hi Susan,

I've been catching up on my computer work (friday ritual)and I always, since discovering it include time to browse thru your blog. I have only one word for your vessels: WOW!!! I absolutely love them. Keep up the beautiful creating.

I've had the opportunity to exhibit 3 of my mixed media pieces on Cyndi Lavin's blogsite (Layers Upon Layers) on Sept. 28th. I felt so happy and intimidated at the same time. I have a hard time considering myself an artist when I look at other's work. But I'm getting better at it.

I love keeping tabs on you via your site to see what you're working on. Have a great time in London.

Joni Owens