Thursday, January 10, 2008

Juried show acceptance, selling from a booth, and fermenting ideas



I've read so many blogs full of wonderful resolutions for the New Year, ideas for greater creativity, increased production, stretching ones' boundaries, taking risks, and accepting all sorts of new challenges. I'm almost tempted to set some lofty goal in stone...but...I know myself better than that! While I admire those who can, I can't. Yet, I've always used this time of year for personal and business reflection and looking for ways in which I can bring about positive change. So, I've been thinking a lot lately.

While thinking, I've been working on several long term projects. I've already shared my hand embroidery...which will take weeks and week to finish. Above is another project...a twist on all the rusty things I've seen and pondered over the past year.

I've been wrapping rusted nails and attaching distressed tags to rust keys...the key to the future, the key to the past, the key to knowledge, success, happiness, failure, death, creativity, the city, my heart, understanding, faith, fulfillment, joy, and just about every other abstract noun imaginable. I envision an old door, one with peeling paint, a physical representation of life's many entryways...sometimes locked but covered with labeled keys. The nails...life's bittersweet memories, the symbol of accuracy, hard work, and sacrifice. That's all the further I've gotten with this idea, but in the wrapping there is a repetitive motion that stimulates additional thinking. I know the foggy vision will become clear and take physical form....an art installation.

I've also had two pieces, Strata VII and In Box XXXIX (I never posted a photo of this one, but this links to the tutorial!) accepted into Artsfest 2008, a juried show in Florence, South Carolina. While this is only a small, localized exhibit, I am very, very excited because I also applied and was accepted into the SALE! This means that I'm going to have a booth! So, if you're anywhere near Florence, SC on the weekend of February 8 - 10, come by the former county library at 319 South Irby Street to see me! There's a gala on Thursday evening too...it's the reception for the juried art show. I can't wait.

12 comments:

Pat said...

I wish, I wish.....a) I would love to see your work and b) I would just love to revisit South Carolina. Congratualtions I hope you have a wonderful time. I have never seen your tutorial XXXIX before but I am going to print it off so I can pour over it. And as for your key project well the pulses race in anticipation.

Purple Missus said...

Congratulations Susan, these are two amazing pieces. I only wish I could see them in person.
I like your thought process behind the rusty keys - and look forward to seeing a resolved piece.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Ohh Susan .. I am so pleased for you.....well done indeed!
BestWishes
Maggie

arlee said...

Congrats The Suze!Well done and you more than deserve the accolades :}
I like the background too you photographed the keys on, suits the emotion well. Should be an interesting work when done!
If i ever lived in the States, it would be in the Carolina's :}

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

I have nominated you for the Make my Day award... please visit my blog for details.
Best wishes
Maggie

Unknown said...

Congratulations Susan, I wish I could see them for real!!! This rusty's keys etc. are really looking tempting, I love rusty things! I am very curious what you are gonna do with them!

gunnelsvensson said...

Congratulations!

I also like keys! and I like your words; key to the futuure, key to the past, key for knowledge etc etc

Dianne said...

A big congratulations re your wonderful work being accepted for the exhibit - but of course they deserve to be!! I love old keys - we have a bit of a collection here. I look forward to see what you do with them.

Doreen G said...

Congratulations Susan-oh and all those rusty things I am jealous.

Ira said...

Veru impressive. Thank you for great tutorials. I wish I can try them.
I'm also popping in to let you know that you've been tagged for the You Make My Day Award.

I really enjoy your blog and your work

Unknown said...

Congrats - I so so so wish I could visit Florence 8 - 10 Feb !!

Nikki said...

I love the ideas for your keys and nails piece. I'm sure it will be beautiful and thought provoking when it comes together. Congratulations on the juried show and both.