Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Decisions, An Installation in the Making, Part 2


(All images can be clicked for enlargement.)

Decisions
, my installation for the annual spring arts event in downtown Columbia, is progressing nicely. I've attached more keys...framed and unframed...labeled and unlabeled...and added a meandering row of nails and screws down the length of the only wood stained door. I've still got more to do. Then, Steve and I will have to unscrew the doors from one another and move it into the atrium...just on the other side of my studio wall.

Placing these nails and screws really felt like adding French knots to an area of embroidery that needed a little texture and dimension.

The image above was shot from the top of a ladder outside my studio. The walls are really just partitions between my space and the atrium and gallery. I'm not sure much else will fit into my studio! (I've got blue macaw feathers sewn to slats from an old, wooden shutter hanging from the ceiling...I call them "spirit totems".)

I felt compelled to add the row of nails, as if by some African spirit...like the Nkondi figures in the Congo. These nail fetish figures were meant to dispel evil, prevent illness, and repel bad deeds. Running my fingers down the projections actually creates music...whimsical and high pitched, like a wind chime.

Above is one of three rusted washers stitched to a door.

I also found this assemblage in a box. I'd forgotten it; never finished it; quite a UFO...now part of the installation.

These containers are not entirely full of wrapped, rusted nails. I cheated; I filled most of the boxes with stryo-foam! The smaller one was once a drawer from a pedal sewing machine cabinet. I sawed it apart, drilled holes in it, and stitched it back together...smaller...fewer nails and more interesting!

13 comments:

Julie said...

There is so much to look at in this assemblage! I like the idea of the rows of nails being in the spirit of embroidered french knots. The UFO you have incorporated into it has the look of a face about it. I'm intrigued as to hoe you stitched the washer to the door.

Pat said...

I love it, I love it..."three rusted washers stitched to a door"..."I sawed it apart .....and stitched it together" what breath taking statements are these and I just knew the "french knots" would be wonderful. I want to walk round and through and touch......I promise I won't tell about the "cheat"!!!!!

Sue Krekorian said...

I wish I could see this in reality, but virtually is a blessing. It is a truly amazing and beautiful creation. Today there is a bit of a blogging Door Day going on, and so I've linked with your blog on mine as it's so relevant to this special day. Brilliant creativity, Susan!

Doreen G said...

I wish that I could just wander around you studio Susan touching-feeling gazing in amazement at what you have done so far.
The studio is crammed with awesome stuff--you are truly a very talented lady.

Merisi said...

Amazing! I wished I could walk up close and admire all the details.

Micki said...

Wow, I am just blown away with all that you are doing. I love, love, love it! I too, wish I could be there and see it all up close.

arlee said...

Love the conjoined Hogarth's Curve of the nails, a path meandering and swaying through life and art---very beautiful.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, I am so curious at the final piece! I wish I could see this in reality. It's amazing!

Wanda said...

Everyone else has already used the words....intriguing, amazing, wonderful, beautiful. I am quite jealous that Mom and Dad are going to see this in person. I'm sure that a part of this is the feeling which must be felt for real.

artisbliss said...

This is just marvelous, Susan. The only downside I can see is having to disassemble it all to get it to the exhibition.

I'm interested in seeing a detail of the stitched-back-together drawer.

Unknown said...

this is a wonderful visual treat!! I love the 'french knot nails'. And it sings too!! An amazing creation!

gunnelsvensson said...

Yes, it would so fun to could see all this in reality! But you are taking good photos and you write good, so we can "play" we are with you!

virtual nexus said...

Called in via the doors post. Enjoyed looking through your photos -
great imagination. Saw a piece of work at the Slade summer school which used matches in a similar way to the nails.