Sunday, July 06, 2008

Crazy Blues....the beginning


(Click on image to enlarge.)

Time is an issue in my life. It is slipping by so quickly; I'll never have enough of it; Organizing it is a daily ritual. While busy with my new series and finishing a potential "commission", I knew I had to plan carefully. I can't take any of this with me on the plane to England next week. Also, my studio is now closed for a week. The gallery floors were in terrible condition. They needed sanded, primed and painted. Below is a photo of my friend, the ceramist Jeff Donovan, priming the bare spots on the floor. So, I started a new project, a crazy quilt! It is perfect for all the stitches I've learned and will be learning through the TAST challenge! It's a crazy quilt with a xylene transfer of Mamie Smith. Mamie Smith was the first African American to record a Blues song....CRAZY BLUES.

I used scraps of blue material in my studio....snippets from old Austrian dirndl dresses and aprons, parts of a vintage quilt sash, an handkerchief Mathias brought back from Japan, an Indian scarf I accidentally tore, and assorted material in my "stash". It's 39" x 33" which is small enough to roll up into my big travel purse. I will be able to use my time during the next week and a half most effectively! I'm thrilled and plan to post image of this piece while in progress. (Maybe this new piece will be me to submit "Blues Chapel" to another venue!)

3 comments:

Wanda said...

I love that we get to see a work in progress! And your quilting...well, leave it to say that you could finish MY quilting project about 10 times faster than I am going to finish it!! It is beautiful! I hope you submit the Blues Chapel to another venue. It is so beautiful and "holy".

Doris said...

LOVE the crazy quilt. I have a great book about crazy quilts and the stitches they employed...I'll try and remember to email you the title of it. I hear you about the time thing...but at least you work fast...some of us aren't nearly as productive as you!

Aussie Jo said...

I can't wait to see your stitching on the crazy quilt, it's looking gorgeous already. Re the time issue, I think it besets all of us. One of the quotes I have written in my diary is "there is just enough time for the important things" It's all about priorities and looking at time in a positive way, and working your butt off!!!!