Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eccles II, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt


Eccles II, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt. 24 3/4" x 34 3/4". Crayon on fabric, heat set. Hand and free motion machine embroidery. Words include: Here Reƒteth the Body. Buri'd Oct. 24 1794 November 11 th 1798 Aged 59 Years James Glover reƒurrectionis. Click on image to enlarge.)

(Detail of Eccles II. Click on image to enlarge.)

Most of my Grave Rubbing Art Quilts are collages of various rubbings. This, however, is a whole quilt but it is still a collage of sorts. The actual tombstone was quite large, several feet long and flat on the ground. I made the rubbing of the top with most of these words and then of the bottom...eliminating the entire middle. Generally, I don't include names but "James Glover" was actually at the very bottom, outside the surrounding design elements. It seemed unique and "right" in that place. I selected the word "reƒurrectionis" from the middle section and added it to balance the name. I love the old words, like "Reƒteth" and the apostrophe in "buri'd" instead of "buried".

(Detail of Eccles II. Click on image to enlarge.)

I thought about calling this piece "James Glover" but in conversation, mostly with my husband, I continued to call it "Eccles Two". Why? Because I already created "Eccles"....henceforth Eccles I. I shared the earlier piece HERE. Like it, Eccles II has a unique reverse. With the exceptions of making the rubbing, outlining the words in free motion, creating the back, and pinning.....this piece was entirely stitched in the car to Pennsylvania and back...and the edge was stitched in the Penske rental truck going back to Texas. I love riding....and stitching! It is the only way to travel!

This back was created from an old tablecloth my sister Sonya gave me over the New Year's holiday. To it I added a lace collar from my friends Ed and Bert. (Bert and I are often found bidding on table lots at Bill Mishoe's weekly auctions....and this is probably where the lace came. I added several other pieces of lace I'd purchased at Bill's auction!) Click on the reverse to enlarge and see my name free motion stitched in the middle.

No comments: