Monday, March 22, 2010

Catching up....Part Four: Thank you Dawn!


(Above: City Gallery at Waterfront Park, front of building at night.)

Even while traveling, I'm stitching. A grave rubbing quilt went with me to San Francisco and to England. I'm also trying to keep up with my email correspondence for the Decision Portrait Series. I recently asked Dawn Goldsmith to post something about my need for "models" on her impressive blog, Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed with Needles.....and SHE DID! The post is HERE! I am humbly grateful to Dawn....and to all those who have responded....which has been many! Of course, I'm still needing more "models"....people willing to share a decision!

(Front of building during the day.)

All the work will be on display in a solo exhibition at the City Gallery at Waterfront Park in Charleston, SC from Sept. 10 - Oct. 10, 2010. These are a few image of the gallery I found on-line. It's a HUGE space!

The space spreads over two floors with walkways from one side of the building to the next.

I'm planning on an installation of chiffon banners....hanging down between the two central, second floor walkways....on which I'll free motion stitch hundreds of questions. The questions will be about decisions, like "Should I wear the red dress or the blue suit?" and "Am I too drunk to drive?" and "Should I donate blood today?" and "Is Botox right for me?" and "Eeny, meany, miney moe....the republican woman or the democratic man?" and "What should I say to my neighbor now that she's on food stamps?"

I'm hoping to have at least 90 finished Decision Portraits as well as my doors and keys sculptural unit and hopefully a wall of just old, tagged keys....like "The Key to Knowledge" and "The Key to Happiness", etc. This is going to be a lot of work. With a space like this! It'll be worth all the effort, panic, and stress!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Susan, I'm more than happy to help you with your Decision Series however I can. You're welcome at Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed with Needles whenever you want.

Thank you for your thoughtful and beautiful art!

Dawn

Wanda said...

Dawn sure posted beautifully! The place is HUGE, Susan! OH my goodness....I think you'll have all the space you need to really do a magical show! This is going to be BIG!!! And Awesome!!! I'm so excited!!!