Friday, July 30, 2010

Gun Owner, Decision Portrait


(Above: Gun Owner, Decision Portrait Series. Hand embroidery and beading. 25" x 19" unframed; 31" x 25" framed. Click on image to enlarge.)

Some Decision Portraits require lots of stitched words. Some need none at all. This one is totally self explanatory. I first saw Bobby at Bill Mishoe's auction months ago. He was wearing this t-shirt. I thought to myself, "This would make a GREAT decision portrait! There's a clear option...a selection...a decision.....right there in the words!" There was a slight problem though. The words appeared on the back of the t-shirt. So, I didn't approach him. Yet, he came to the next auction wearing the same t-shirt. I couldn't resist. I introduced myself saying, "Hi, I'm a local artist creating pieces called Decision Portraits. I'd like to make one of you in that t-shirt ... if you'll wear it backwards."


(Above: Gun Owner, Decision Portrait, detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

Fortunately, Bobby didn't think I was a total lunatic. We later met at his house. I explained the concept and we browsed through the Decision Portrait series blog. He put on his t-shirt, backwards and I snapped the photos.

I selected the various shell beads because they sort of reminded me of miniature "targets". The only other stitching needed was a running stitch outline around Bobby and a back-stitched red thread around the check mark. Personally, I'll NEVER own a gun. This is part of the beauty of the Decision Portrait Series ... no one decision is "right" for everyone!

I had to snap a photo of his bumper sticker!

1 comment:

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a great participant! The look of determination on his face, full of character. How are all the banners coming along?
Debbie