Monday, September 27, 2010

Keys and the start of "Looking For A Mate"


(Above: The start of a public arts project called Looking For A Mate. Click on image to enlarge.)

Although I've been busy preparing for both exhibition presentations, I've not neglected my stitching! In fact I've started the "prototype" for my public arts project, Looking For A Mate. The idea is for people to bring their "mateless" socks to the annual autumn arts event held in Columbia's downtown. It's called Vista Lights and is always the Thursday before Thanksgiving.


(Above: Detail of Looking For A Mate, in progress. Click on image to enlarge.)

This year I'll be at Guy Jones' River Runner, the local kayak and outdoor sports shop. Guy supplies me with free felt! Believe it or not, there's a boat company that ships its vessels to distributors wrapped in gigantic, acrylic felt "bags". The substrata for this art quilt is recycled felt.


(Above: Detail of Looking For A Mate, in progress. Click on image to enlarge.)

The Congaree Vista Guild awarded a grant to pay for advertisements in the local, free weekly news publication. These ads will tell people to bring their mateless socks to the event where I'll be creating another, larger ART QUILT. Thus, the public will have fun and also learn what an art quilt is. Plus, all the materials are being recycled! The new piece with the public's donated socks will be completed and on view for the annual spring arts crawl! The complete proposal for this project is HERE!



I've also been making more tagged keys. Before Sunday my stack looked like this (above). By Sunday afternoon the stack grew to this (below). I love making keys. It's a good thing I enjoy it so much because I still have hundreds to go! I'm not sure I'll finish all these now....maybe on another day. The keys will join all the other keys that are on display at The City Gallery at Waterfront Park in Charleston....part of my solo show there. Along with the doors, I'll be creating a store front window installation in October.


(Above: Tagged keys. Click on images to enlarge.)

6 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

You crack me up! All your crazy ideas that come to fruition in such wonderful ways. Let me in that head of yours!!! What a fun place to live!
Good luck in getting hundreds more key tags made; and love the find your mate idea too. Hear me laughing.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous!!LOVE it!!

Unknown said...

great ideas Susan! A community quilt-- what fun! Watching from afar and enjoying what your doing!

Jane LaFazio said...

LOVE the sock quilt, and those keys are fantastic!

Taylor schapiro said...

I saw these keys today at the gallery and LOVE them. Wonderful. Loved the rest of the show as well.

SONYASPHERE said...

I've taken a collection of old keys up here in the office....do you need me to send what I have so far?? Or should I just wait and keep collecting?