Monday, July 25, 2011

A week of work!


(Forever, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt Series. 22" x 26". Crayon on silk grave rubbing, recycled wedding gown, free motion machine and hand embroidery, beading. Click on image to enlarge.)

The last time I rummaged through the plastic tub in which I keep my grave rubbings, I found one without words. It was just the two heart shapes, flowers and leaves, and a place for a name above ... in brown crayon. (I rarely ever make an impression of people's names.) I don't remember making this rubbing ... which cemetery ... for what idea ... or when ... but, I liked it. So, I didn't put it back in the tub. It sat around my studio for about a week until a good idea formed.

I went to Elmwood Cemetery. It's only about three blocks from my house. It was surprising how long it took to find our names ... both of which are rather common ... and the years of our births (looking for smaller than average sized numbers). It was peaceful though. It was hot, above one hundred degrees.


(Above: Wedding dress from Bill Mishoe's auction. Click on image to enlarge.)

When creating I Do / I Don't, my installation of wedding veils, I went to lots of thrift shops and also bought items at Bill Mishoes' auction house. On two occasions, I had to buy the entire wedding ensemble ... dress and veil. So ... I happened to have this beautiful, ornate wedding gown. It was recycled into the background, trim, and the entire reverse for this art quilt.


(Above: Forever, reverse. Click on image to enlarge.)

It took hours with a seam ripper to remove the complicated, bead-and-lace appliques. I wanted these to have a little contrast with the pretty brocade fabric ... so I tea stained the material.

So ... what did Steve think? He laughed. This will be our only headstone. We're both going to be cremated but haven't decided what to do with the ashes. That's another project!

The art quilt was made in the late afternoons during the week. By the weekend, my studio was being littered with polyester velvet, previously painted Wonder Under (Bond-a-Web), and snippets of chiffon scarves. The following "Windows" were created!


(Above: Window XXXIII. Each piece in this series is approximately 12" x 10" unframed, 17 3/4" x 15 3/4" framed. Click on any image to enlarge.)


(Above: Window XXXII.)


(Above: Window XXXI.)


(Above: Window XXX.)


(Above: Window XXXIV.)


(Above: Window XXIX.)


(Above: Window XXVIII.)

4 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

You were born the year I graduated high school.
I do like what you did...well, I like all of your art.
And the stained glass pieces...you know I am drooling as I speak.
Going to wipe my chin.
Hugs
Lynn

Mosaic Magpie said...

I am just getting home from vacation and getting caught up. For you to find so much inspiration from cemeteries and grave stones, it seems strange to want to be cremated. Who knows someone could have someday made a great art piece from your gravestone.
Deb

lynda Howells said...

love what l am seeing here ..as always. x have been of for a while because been in hospital for shoulder op. Stayed in for a few extra days because they couldn't get my pain relief correct..am home now.xxlynda

SONYASPHERE said...

I want my ashes spread on top of the Untersberg! They will soak into the mountain...and there I shall sleep with King Karl Kaiser until the ravens fly no more.