Friday, March 22, 2013

Back from Paradise ... aka Key West!


(Above:  Fragment LXIX.  Unframed:  11" x 9 1/2".  Framed:  15 3/4" x 13 1 /4".  Dry felted wool rovings and chiffon with hand embroidery.  Click on image to enlarge.)

My week in "Paradise" went by too quickly.  The weather was warm and wonderful.  I got a little start on a tan (which will remain a UFO because I don't ever sunbathe!)  My husband Steve flew in last Friday.  We had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day weekend, a special way to celebrate two successful workshops.

During the workshops, I had my embellisher out and available for participants to try using.  In the box of wool rovings, yarn, felt scraps, chiffon, and other "materials" for the machine, I found this piece ... nearly finished.  I'd forgotten about it.  I'd started it back in Austria while visiting Sara Lechner's in the autumn of 2009.  Since then, it had been used as a "demo" piece for the embellisher.  When I took it out this time, I told myself, "Finish it!  Put some hand stitches in and call it quits".  So I did!


(Above:  The front of a boat in a clear, green water.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Last year I enjoyed the entire month of March at The Studios of Key West.  I took loads of photos.  It would have been easy to shoot many of the same compositions again this year.  The place is just that intoxicatingly beautiful.  To avoid this, I made a promise to myself:  ONLY TAKE DETAIL SHOTS!


(Above:  Ropes on the pier.)

My aim was to capture some of the charming and unique things that make Key West such an amazing tropical paradise.  I shot over 500 photos in the week.  They've been pared down to a mere 160 and are on a Flickr! set HERE or as a slideshow HERE.


(Above:  Details from Key West's Oldest House, now a lovely museum on Duvall Street.)

If anyone wonders why I link both the "Flickr! Set" and the "Slideshow", please know that this is for my Dad's convenience.  He's told me, "I don't do Flickr!  I only do a Slideshow".  Since he is the person who initially taught me how to take picture ... back when setting shutter speed and aperature openings required knowledge of a light meter ... and taught me to always inspect the outer edge inside the view finder, I will always be in his debt for what "eye" I have for photography.  Thank you, Dad!  I'll always provide you the link directly to the "slideshow"!


(Above:  Theater Sign.)

So please enjoy my photos here and on Flickr!  It was a fun exercise!  Of course, I also took a few cute animal shots ... how could I resist those six-toed cats at the Hemingway House and the adorably dressed puppies prancing around in their St. Patrick's Day attire on Duvall Street?  How could I not snap a photo of a real, live, manatee ... just swimming beside Mallory Square? !!!  Key West is wonderful! 

 
(Above:  A Manatee coming up for air!)

I'm also linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site to share fiber art creations ... finished or in progress.


(Above:  Detail of a lamp in the Hemingway House.)

Enjoy the rest of the photos!










1 comment:

Julie said...

Well done on finishing your 'Sara Lechner' piece. We go back to St Ives every year and keep saying 'what will we photogrpah this time?'. I like your focus (pardon the pun) on detail shots and may do the same. They will make an interesting collection and may make us see St Ives in a new light.