Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cut, fuse, melt, mount ... new work!


(Above:  Window LXXVI.  Unframed 12" x 10".  Framed:  17 1/4" x 15 1/2".  Polyester stretch velvet, previously painted WonderUnder, metallic foiling, chiffon scarves; Self guided, free-motion machine embroidery with melting.  Click on this or any other image in this blog post to enlarge.)

I've been very busy this past week!  These are pieces earmarked for my upcoming shows:  The Washington Craft Show and The Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show ... both in November.


(Above: Window LXXVII.)

I started making them over a month ago because I'll be needing enough work to fill my booth TWICE.  This is a great opportunity and I'm very excited.  Of course, as soon as I start making these pieces, I'm contacted by the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville where I'm represented.  They needed more work ... more of THIS WORK.  I feel like I'm moving three steps ahead only to lose two ... but this is a GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE!

(Above: Window LXXV.)

I've done some of the basic designs before but some are totally brand new.  No two pieces are alike ... because everything is hand cut.


(Above: Stained Glass XLIII.  Unframed:  56" x 16".  Framed: 64" x 24".)

I call the small works "Windows".  I call the large vertical pieces "Stained Glass".  This new "Stained Glass" piece is a totally new design based on a stylized flower.  I really like how it turned out.  Below are three detail shots of this piece followed by two more "Windows".   I'll be making more soon!


(Above:  Stained Glass XLIII, detail of the top.)



(Above:  Stained Glass XLIII, detail of the middle.)



(Above: Stained Glass XLIII, detail of the bottom.)


(Above: Window LXXIII.)

(Above: Window LXXIV.)

2 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Incredible work. I really like the heart shapes within the designs.

Wanda said...

Yup...I can see you've been really busy! Hey...Stained Glass XLIII is sort of different, right? And you thought no one would notice! HA Great stuff, Susan!!!!