Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Last pieces before my solo show at the Grovewood Gallery


(Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Winter, Inventory # 3839. Unframed:  16" x 12"; framed: 25" x 19". $350.  Click on any image in this blog post for an enlargement.)

Time is slipping by might fast!  I spent most of today creating an inventory list of the work headed to the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville, NC for my solo show and then packing it all into the cargo van.  The last four pieces were finished and framed over the weekend.  They were photographed and entered into my inventory book on Monday.  I can't wait to see them on display.

 
(Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Summer, Inventory # 3831. Unframed:  16" x 12"; framed: 25" x 19". $350.)

I'm especially excited about this solo opportunity because I'll be in the gallery demonstrating from 11 - 4 on both Friday and Saturday.  Also, this is the first time my fiber vessels will have gallery representation.  I'm bringing twenty of them!

(Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Spring, Inventory # 3840. Unframed:  16" x 12"; framed: 25" x 19". $350.)

For the demonstrations, I'll be making more fiber vessels.  If I'd wanted, I could have demonstrated my "HOT" techniques, the processes that turn polyester velvet into my In Box and Stained Glass series.  Yet, demonstrating the fiber vessels is much easier to do while talking to people.  I don't mind interruptions and only my sewing machine needs to be plugged in.  The "HOT" techniques require more concentration, an iron and ironing surface, the sewing machine ... and I can't even show the melting!  Why?  Well, there's fumes ... lots of toxic fumes.  I sure don't want to set off the fire alarm in the gallery!
  
(Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Autumn, Inventory # 3832. Unframed:  16" x 12"; framed: 25" x 19". $350.)

Of course, I do have a "sampler" of the "HOT" process.  I take it with me when selling at a craft show.  It is a long piece of black industrial felt on which each step is shown.  Plus, I'm bringing a large Stained Glass piece that is still on the stretcher bars.  Holes have already been melted through the many layers using my three sizes of soldering irons.  It just hasn't been zapped with the industrial heat gun.  It will serve as an excellent example as to how the pieces are made.  Hopefully, I'll remember to snap a few photos from the demonstrations.

(Above:  Khaldoune Bencheikh and his rangoli at Comparing Religion: A Group Exhibition of Artwork Inspired by Religion, Benedict College.)

Some times I forget to take picture, even after I promised to blog them.  About two weeks ago, I went by Benedict College during the installation of Comparing Religion: A Group Exhibition of Artwork Inspired by Religion.  I promised to take more photos at the opening, but I only remembered to take two of them.  Oh well.  Suffice it to say, my Virgin of Gone and Forgotten Triptych is in the background (above) being inspected by my seriously talented friend Tyrone Geter.  Other walls include most of my Angels in Mourning Series, the Book of the Dead, the Nail Triptych, and my Pardoning Altar

 (Above:  Rice flour outline of the rangoli with my Pardoning Altar and some of my Angels in Mourning Series in the background.)

I guess the reason I forgot to snap more photos was because I know what my work looks like! LOL!  I was really only anxious to see how the rangoli would turn out.

 (Above:  The rangoli.)

Khaldoune worked with students at Benedict to come up with and carry out the design.  It looks great!

 (Above:  Three-quarters of an old oval frame at Columbia Antique Mall/Chic Antiques.)

I meant to snap more photos on Saturday.  I went to the second part of the Columbia Antique Mall/Chic Antique liquidation sale. It was bittersweet.  I came home with a box of old printer's type, an antique wooden chamber pot commode, and four boxes of old 45 records.  I didn't want the records; my husband Steve did.  He previewed the auction with me and said, "Bid $10 a box.  If you get the bid, take two boxes.  It will be worth twenty dollars for the hours of sheer entertainment I'll spend sorting through them all."  Well, I got them for $5 per box and took all four.  Steve had a blast.  I told him it was his Valentine's Day present.  He said my present was sparing me from listening to any of them! LOL!

 (Above:  The Wall of Ancestors, Never Went Out of State.)

Unfortunately or fortunately ... depending on how you look at it ... old Victorian frames aren't bring much money either.  I got these two for $10 each.  Last week I got three for $10 (but they weren't quite as nice as these two.)  They've been transformed into new pieces for my Wall of Ancestors.

(Above:  The Wall of Ancestors: The Best Day Ever.)

I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Bonne chance pour votre expo