Sunday, May 21, 2017

Good News!

 (Above:  Wall of Ancestors, I Went Off to Make My Fortune and Never Came Back.  Altered anonymous photo in antique frame.  14" x 12", framed.  Click on any image for an enlargement.)

I can't help myself.  I'm still adding to my Wall of Ancestors.  There are now well over two-hundred-and twenty framed pieces.  (The link above shows only the first 127 pieces.)  I don't really need more ... except maybe I do.  Why?  Well, The Wall of Ancestors is part of my solo installation Anonymous Ancestors.  There's no way to know in advance what sort of interior space I might be given by a hosting venue.  It might be really, really BIG.  I might actually need more work.  It couldn't hurt to have "more than enough".  At least that's my excuse!

Well, last January I spent three full days researching southeastern museums and other location to which I could send an exhibition proposal for Anonymous Ancestors.  Mostly, I heard nothing in return.  Occasionally, I got an out-right rejection.  Yet, I have GOOD NEWS!

(Above:  The Wall of Ancestors, Nothing Came Easily.  Altered anonymous photo in antique frame.  17" x 14", framed.)

Anonymous Ancestors has been scheduled for the following solo shows:

The University of South Carolina Upstate's Gallery on Main, 172 E. Main Street, Spartanburg, SC from August 31 - November 4th. Art Walk reception on September 21 from 5 - 8.

Eastern Shore Art Center in Fairhope, AL opening during the "First Friday Art Walk" on Jan. 5 thru Jan. 27, 2018 ... where I'll hopefully be teaching a workshop too!

But, there's more good new!  The Commode was accepted into a Ironic Designs, a juried exhibition at the Gadsden Museum of Art in Gadsden, AL from June 1 - 30, 2017.  It will have an opening reception on Friday, June 2nd from 5-7 and a closing reception on Friday, June 23th from 5-7.  Yet, along with The Commode, a selection of framed pieces from The Wall of Ancestors was also accepted.  Steve and I will be delivering and installing the work on May 31st ... and hopefully be signing a contract for the entire Anonymous Ancestors installation to be shown in the museum during January and February 2019!  Yes, museums generally schedule years in advance!  I am very, very excited! 
 
 (Above:  Wall of Ancestors, The Girl Next Door.  Altered anonymous photo in antique frame.  14" x 12", framed.)
 
While submitting proposals, I sometimes found on-line systems.  Such was the case at the Greenville Center for Creative Arts.  After submitting Anonymous Ancestors, I figured I'd go ahead and submit my older proposal for Last Words.  Believe it or not, Last Words was just accepted for October 5 - November 28, 2018.  Good news indeed!  I love both these bodies of work!

It takes hours to write proposals and days to research locations to which they might be sent.  Thankfully, it was worth it!  By the way, the solo show I have coming up at Waterworks Visual Arts Center was also a result of sending a proposal.  The proposal wasn't accepted but the offer to show other work was given!  Definitely, good news!

No comments: