Monday, February 26, 2018

Gotta Love a Weekend!

 (Above:  Courtship Bench.  Found objects and anonymous photos.  16" x 17" x 8".  I bought the doll bench last Friday night.  I knew it was "Made in China" but I also knew exactly what I was going to use it for!  Click on any image to enlarge.)

My husband Steve and I own our business, Mouse House.  We do limited custom picture framing ... which means that I frame pictures for part of each weekday but that I spend the rest either making art or doing the "paperwork/computer work" necessary to sustain my studio practice.  Weekends are different!  Studio time!  Gotta love a weekend!
 
 (Above:  Courtship Bench, detail.  The vintage pin holder was purchased at least a year ago.  It was on a "table lot", the remains of some anonymous woman's sewing stash.)

Generally I spent every Tuesday and Friday night at my favorite auction house, Bill Mishoe's Estate Services.  I watch the remains of other people's lives sell to flea market and antique dealers, young couples just starting out, and "regulars" like me.  Sometimes I bring home a few items, especially things  that work well with my solo installation Anonymous Ancestors.  I admit it; I don't really need anything else for this exhibition.  I just can't help myself.  Repurposing old frames and photos is giving these neglected items a new lease on life.  Also, I just confirmed a new show!  Making a couple more things for this opportunity seemed the best way to celebrate! 

  (Above:  Courtship Bench, detail.  The black spray-painted artificial flower came from Blues Chapel, one of my first installations.)

Anonymous Ancestors will be on view at the Theatre Art Galleries, 220 East Commerce Avenue in High Point, NC from May 31st until August 3rd.  I'm very much looking forward to transforming the space!

 (Above:  Courtship Bench, reverse.)

Now, I know that this 3D assemblage probably will not go to the show in High Point, but it was inspired by my obsession with anonymous photos.  I also knew that the doll bench was "Made in China" but I successfully bid on it anyway.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.  I had the weekend to select and frame two photos, figure out how to get them mounted while tilted, and collage the back. 

 (Above:  Courtship Bench, reverse.)

The antique chromolithograph flowers were once part of The Garden Magazine, dating from the late 19th century.  It might seem a shame to have cut two of these images up, but I've had them for at least two decades and haven't been able to sell either for as little as five-dollars.

 (Above:  Courtship Bench, reverse, detail.)

The heart-shaped pin cushion also came from Bill Mishoe's auction ... more than a year ago.  It seemed to be waiting for this creation.

 (Above:  Lunette XXXI. Unframed: 17" x 23"; Framed: 22" x 28". Inventory # 4241. $495.)

Over the weekend I also constructed, stitched, and melted Lunette XXXI.  It will be going to the ACC (American Craft Council) Atlanta show next month.  I'm in booth 1408 from March 16 - 18.)

 (Above:  Lunette XXXI, detail.)

Before going to Atlanta, I want to make several, small "In Box Series" pieces.  I'll be tackling them during the week and on Sunday.  Why not Saturday?  Well, some weekends aren't spent entirely in my studio.  Next Saturday will find me on the second floor of the Richland County Main Library making bookmarks with the public.  This is part of the Deckle Edge Literary Festival.  It's going to be loads of fun!

 
(Above:  Mended Words XIV: Pandora's Box.  Hand-colored antique engraving, ripped and stitched with collage.  Mounted on 20" x 16" mat board.)

Speaking of "literary arts", I'm continuing my "Mended Words" series.  It's so much fun to look for engraving that might be altered in this fashion. The statement is just a general one but appropriate to the image title.


(Above:  Mended Words XV: Innocence. Hand-colored antique engraving, ripped and stitched with collage.  Mounted on 20" x 16" mat board.)

This piece uses a quotation by Edna St. Vincent Millay.  I have several others in this series to create, plus I've got a stack of "Great Quotations" on antique dictionary pages to make too.

 (Above:  Ancestor Wall, All for One and One for All.)

Finally, this past weekend included making two more pieces for my "Wall of Ancestors" ... which will be part of the upcoming Anonymous Ancestors exhibit.   Can't wait!

(Above:  Ancestor Wall, The Salad Days.)

I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts. 

No comments: