Thursday, March 01, 2018

Six more Great Quotations

 (Above:  Great Quotations XXIV: Gentleman with a quotation from Vin Diesel.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

So far this week, I've been working on my "Great Quotations Series" and preparing for a day at the Richland County's Main Library.  I'll be making bookmarks with the public at an event called Deckle Edge Literary Festival.  The bookmarks will be very similar to the tagged keys I make ... except that there won't be a key, just a long tag with an inspiring word, phrase or favorite book title.  I've got all my clipped letters ready to go.  They are the same sort of letters that I use on the "Great Quotation Series". 

 (Above:  Great Quotations XIX, Bath with quotation by Sylvia Plath.)

In preparation for Saturday's public art project, I even got a new, larger container in which the clipped letters are stored.  It is marketed to hold nuts and bolts.  Several of the trays are more than twice the size of the trays in my older container.  They are perfect for most of the vowels and letters like "N", "R", "S", and "T".  

(Above:  Great Quotations XX: Oedipus' Riddle of the Sphinx.)

All the pieces in the "Great Quotations Series" are made using antique or pre-1945 images and letters clipped mostly from vintage magazines and ephemera on a page from Charles Richardson's English Language Dictionary, 1846.  I have a stack on which I'm currently working ... so there will be more.

(Above:  Great Quotations XXI: Smoke with quotation from Mark Twain.)

It is great fun researching words, looking for the best quotation for each piece.  I don't select or even look for the quotation until the page already has the image and stitching done.  In a sense, it's like a game or a crossword puzzle ... something I must riddle out.

(Above:  Great Quotations XXII: Gown with quotation from Karl Lagerfeld.)

Many of the images were black-and-white.  I've done quite a bit of the hand coloring.  It's fun too!

(Above:  Great Quotations XXIII: Flirt with a quotation from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.)

Looking for the quotation also makes me want to spend more time just reading good books.  I read Jane Eyre when I was much, much younger ... and likely the idea of "flirting as a woman's trade" went well over my head! LOL!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Love them all! Love the way your threads meander round the images. ...just as though you are thinking about your quotation as you sew.

Christine said...

Love them all! Love the way your threads meander round the images. ...just as though you are thinking about your quotation as you sew.